Garmin has been popular for its action cameras and it is improvising the user experience with Garmin VIRB action cameras as well. Several models of VIRB action cameras are available in the market. Moreover, it is equipped with the one-torch feature or voice command for capturing videos. Also, these cameras are waterproof and can capture fully spherical videos with built-in GPS support. Day by day more people are purchasing Garmin cameras for capturing videos.
Human errors might lead to accidental deletion of files from the Garmin camera. Sometimes technical faults are responsible for erasing files saved on the Garmin camera. Nobody wants to lose the pictures and videos he has captured with utmost care. Moreover, some of the files might be of great importance to you as well. Thus, you need a recovery method to get back the inaccessible files from your Garmin camera. This article is to help those users who are not looking for a suitable way of getting hold of their deleted files. If you are one of them, then you can too refer to this article for help.
Possible Ways of Losing Files from Your Garmin Camera:
You might lose your files in any of the following ways:
- Recordings of Garmin cameras are continuously saved in the SD card whenever you use the camera. These recordings will be erased if the SD card is corrupted or deleted mistakenly.
- Files won’t be saved if you record videos at the low battery or when the SD card is running out of storage space.
- Memory cards have a limited lifespan and thus, they get corrupted when the time is over.
- You might also lose files while trying to remove the SD card when the camera is recording a video.
- Similarly, due to improper handling of the Garmin camera, the files might get lost.
- Files won’t be available when the SD is physically damaged.
- You might have connected the SD card to a system containing a virus. As a result, the files saved on the SD card are no longer accessible.
- You can view the saved files if the device drivers are incompatible with your Garmin camera.
- Exceeding the limit of write or erase cycles for your SD card can create bad blocks. Hence, the files are automatically erased from the SD card.
Methods to Recover Deleted Files from Garmin Camera:
If you have encountered data loss, then recover your data by any of the following methods:
Method 1: Reinstall the Driver
Users often get back their files by reinstalling the device driver on the computer they are using for it. Thus, you can give it a try and see whether it solves your problem or not.
1. At the first step, connect the SD card of your Garmin camera to a PC.
2. Right-click ‘This PC’ on your desktop and choose ‘Manage’ from the context menu.
3.Select Device Manager and double click on ‘Disk Drives.’
4. Right-click the removable drive for your Garmin camera and choose the ‘Uninstall’ option from the drop-down menu.
5. Click ‘OK’ on the popup to confirm the uninstallation of the removable drive.
6. Remove the SD card and restart the system to accept the changes you made.
7. Reconnect the SD card to your PC and ensure that it is identifiable.
8. Now see whether you can access the files saved on your Garmin camera or not.
Method 2: Assign a New Drive Letter
This method will recover your files if the current drive letter is corrupted. Therefore, you can assign a new drive letter by the steps listed below.
1. Press the Windows logo key and ‘R’ at the same time to open the Run application.
2. Type ‘computer management’ into the search field of the Run application and click ‘OK.’
3. On the Computer Management window, navigate to the ‘Storage’ menu and select ‘Disk Management’ under it.
4. Locate the drive associated with the SD card of your Garmin camera.
5. Right-click on the drive and select ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths’ from the drop-down menu.
6. Click ‘Change’ on the popup dialog box and check the ‘Assign following drive letter’ option.
7. Then, scroll down the dropbox and select the drive letter.
8. Click the ‘OK’ button and close the ‘Computer Management’ window.
9. Connect the SD card of your Garmin camera to the PC and check whether the files are visible or not.
Method 3: Run a Chkdsk Scan
This method is great to recover files from a physically damaged or corrupted SD card. So, perform the Chkdsk scan by the steps mentioned underneath:
1. Go to the Start menu, type ‘cmd’ into the Windows search bar and press ‘Enter.’
2. Right-click on Command Prompt in the search result and select ‘Run as Administrator’ to launch an elevated command.
3. Type ‘chkdsk <dash cam SD card drive letter>:/f’ into the Command Prompt and hit ‘Enter’ to execute the command.
4. The Chkdsk tool scans the SD card and repairs it in case it is damaged or corrupted.
5. When the process is completed, access the SD card on your PC to ensure that you have recovered the files.
Method 4: Use Video Recovery Software
Manual tricks might not be suitable to restore severely corrupted files. Hence, try out this method only when the manual fixes fail to recover your deleted files.
1. Look for a professional multimedia recovery software and download it from the internet.
2. Make sure that the recovery software supports the file formats in which your camera saves files.
3. After installing the software, launch it on your PC.
4. Select the files you want to recover on the home screen of the software and click the ‘Next’ button.
5. Then, select the location from where you want to recover the files and tap the ‘Start’ button to begin the scanning process.
6. As a new dialog box appears, select a folder or mention the location where you want to save the image files.
7. Click the ‘Save’ button to save the selected files in that particular location.
Note: The methods discussed above will work for any model of Garmin cameras. The first three methods will work when your computer fails to recognize the SD card of your Garmin camera.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Why a Comprehensive Video Repair is Recommended?
A comprehensive video repair is necessary to prevent further damage to the SD card of your Garmin camera. The methods discussed in this article are fair enough to help you recover deleted files from your Garmin camera. Thus, you won’t have to fear the permanent loss of video footage stored on your Garmin camera.
- How to Recover Deleted Files from a Garmin Camera?
Though it sounds difficult to recover already deleted files, the process is not that difficult. Even when the files are deleted, they remain on the SD card. So, you have an opportunity to get back your data by reinstalling the driver, assigning a new drive letter, or running a Chkdsk scan. If none of them works, then you can use a video recovery software for the same.
- How to Protect Video Recordings after a Car Accident?
If you have met with a car accident, then use the emergency lock feature of your Garmin camera. Once you push the lock button, the video files are automatically secured. Unplug the camera and transfer the video footage to your PC afterward. Make sure that you don’t use your camera once you have discovered a problem in the SD card. That’s all your files will be in their correct place without an issue.