Garmin GPS is a powerful tool especially when you are driving through a new area. However, the device will not be helpful if it is not powered on.
As reported by many users, Garmin won’t turn on even if its plugged into the power supply. This can be quite annoying but, resolving it is not an impossible task.
Most of the time, a hard reset can fix the error. However, sometimes, resetting Garmin Nuvi does not work. In such a condition, how to power up your GPS?
Don’t worry, here, we will describe some easy ways to eliminate the glitch.
What to do if the Garmin won’t Turn on?
In case, you are dealing with this situation where Garmin GPS won’t turn on, have a glance at the rest of the content. Go through the following fixes and apply them in order to switch on your Garmin Nuvi.
Solution 1- Check the Power
Let’s start with an easy solution. At first, we suggest you check the power connection, as this can lead to this bug.
So, at first, plug the device with its original Garmin charging cable. Ensure that there is no blockage between the charger cable and the vehicle’s power outlet.
This includes other charging accessories or splitter. You are strongly advised not to use a defective USB cable. Instead, replace it with a new cable and turn the vehicle’s power on.
Now, check the end of the power cable and make sure that the lights are on. In case, the power cable does not lights up, you should try a different vehicle.
Also, try to drive normally with Garmin GPS connected to power for some time (at least 10 minutes).
We hope, this will fix the glitch. If not, then don’t worry, as we have provided more than one solution.
Solution 2- Perform a Hard Reset
As said earlier, a hard reset may fix the error. Well, if you don’t have any idea about the resetting process, then here it is.
How to Perform a Hard Reset?
In the beginning, you have to disconnect the Garmin GPS device from the power source. After that, go to the touchscreen and locate the Reset option. Press as well as hold this button on the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
Now, turn on the GPS device and keep pressing the lower right-hand portion. Wait for a while until you see a message saying ‘Erase all data?’. So, click on the ‘Yes’ button.
Afterward, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the hard reset procedure. Then, check the status of the flaw.
Solution 3- Cable Management
If the above two solutions fail to fix the issue, we advise you to use an aftermarket charger. Alternatively, you can replace a defective charger cable with a new one.
In case, you have multiple mini or micro USB cables, try them one by one. It is to identify the charging cable that will power on the Garmin GPS device.
Also, use colored wire or some other methods to mark the correct cable, so you can separate it from others.
By using a suitable cable in your vehicle, one in the room and another in the luggage, you will be ready to power on the Garmin Nuvi.
Solution 4- Fix Software Issue (Nuvi 30, 40, or 50 Series)
Sometimes, software-related problems can also lead to this error. These happen in particular mentioned series. So, if you use any of them, then take a look below.
- In the beginning, install Garmin’s USB drive. Then, download the appropriate recovery file for your specific Garmin device. Afterward, save these items somewhere on your device.
- Next, you have to drag and drop the RGN file at the top of the ‘Updater.exe’ portion in the Recovery Application. It will launch the Recovery Application with the proper repair files.
- In the next step, touch and hold the upper left corner of Garmin’s touchscreen. Furthermore, connect the Garmin device to your computer via a mini USB cable while you keep touching the corner of the screen.
- Afterward, locate your Garmin device in the Recovery Application. It might be listed in the ‘USB Device’s scroll-down menu.
- Then, tap on the button next to the ‘USB Device’ option and click on the OK button. Afterward, release your finger from the touchscreen.
- Now, wait while Nuvi is updating the software. Choose “No’, if it prompts to install the old software.
Finally, disconnect your Garmin device from the computer. Reconnect it to the vehicle and now it should power on correctly.
Steps When Garmin Nuvi won’t Turn on Even if Plugged in
Several users have complained about Garmin Nuvi won’t turn on even when plugged in. Unfortunately, if you are among those users, the error can be fixed by following the given instructions.
- At first, you have to charge the Garmin device with a different power outlet. It is quite possible that the charging outlet does not provide any charge. Also, try to charge the GPS device in a different vehicle. After that, proceed to the next step.
- Ensure that the Garmin Nuvi device is comfortable with the surrounding temperature. This is compulsory as the Nuvi device will not charge below 32 degrees and above 113 degrees.
Apart from that, it might also fail to charge properly in case it placed under direct sunlight. Hence, make sure you don’t keep the navigation device out in the daylight. Also, charge it within the above-mentioned temperature range.
- You also need to reset the GPS if it appears frozen. It can be easily done by simply turning Garmin Nuvi off and on.
Alternatively, you can slide the power key to the left and hold it for at least 10 seconds. In case, Garmin’s power key does not slide, you have to hold down the power key to perform a reset. Then, release it and it should fix the issue.
To utilize the features of Garmin Nuvi, powering it up and charging the device is essential. We believe after taking help from this passage, you can quickly get rid of Garmin won’t turn on issue.
However, if you do not have the in-depth technical knowledge, contact us to get the permanent solution on this Garmin error.